Sunday, April 20, 2008

Gnocchi (pronounced ˈɲɔkki "Nyoki")


Alright people. were heading to the old country here. Today we are gonna make Gnocchi. Its one of those dishes that isn't really famous in Japan and I probably would have never eaten it if my Nona(Italian, grandmother) didn't make it for me. It's a great dish and it's well worth the time spent to make it. Heres what ya'll need:

18 potatoes
4.5 cups of all-purpose flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tbsp of salt
a few ground herbs(if you have a grinder just chuck a few herbs in there, for this it should all amount to about 2 tbsp. I use basil, oregano, thyme, sage and parsley)

Now lets get busy. Boil some water in a pot, and once it's boiled chuck in those spuds(you'd better have peeled'em). Cook'em for about 20 min( if you want it done faster then cut the spuds into quarters). Once they're are done pull'em out with a strainer and keep the water boiling on low heat. Mash those potatoes real well, then season them with the salt and the herbs. Chuck in the eggs and the oil and knead in the flour power. Then on a clean floured surface roll it into rope like pieces and cut into half inch pieces. Then toss in those goodies and boil'em till they come to the top, about 5 min. And thats all she wrote mate. Serve it with a good sauce. I used the same recipe as the pasta sauce below except that I added 1.5 kgs of ground beef to it. Have fun.

7 comments:

Nina said...

What kinda texture does this hv? Does it taste like potato? Really curious!

Junior said...

You really have to eat it to understand. But heres kinda how it tastes... like a cross between mashed potatos and pasta but just a whole lot better. If you attempt it make sure you pull the potatos out wen they are really soft almost mushy so that when they get mashed they arent clumpy.

CurlyCel said...

I love making gnocchi - it's just a lot of work! If the picture is how you made it, good for you - there is another tactic which involves taking the individual piece and lightly rolling it out (with your thumb) against either a grater, or what I use is usually the end of a fork. It somewhat flattens it out and gives it a different look too (which could be compared to these - except bigger: http://www.melodiafood.co.uk/products/pasta/short-cuts/gnocchi-sardi-product.html)
I am from Sardegna so that's probably why I like making them look like this, even though I'm not making them as small!
But you're right, you really have to eat it to understand.

P.S. There are two "n's" in Nonna. ;)

Junior said...

Hm, sounds interesting. I haven't had them like that before. I love trying new things so I'll give it a try. BTW who on earth are you? Curlycel.. are some one I know? Are you Kenny posting under another name?

CurlyCel said...

Ummm...I'm Celeste! - More commonly referred to as "Cel" (amongst the many other nicknames)! And I have curly hair, hence the "curlycel". (There's a pic on my name, - that's me!)
I'm not sure who "Kenny" is, but I live in Mexico and came across your site through blog links. I don't know that I know you unless you've lived in Europe in the past 15 years or so? You live in Japan, right? I've personally never been there so again, not sure I know you. - That doesn't make a difference to visiting your blog though, does it? ;)

Junior said...

Ok, that was my bad. I get my comments directly to my email box to avoid junk on my blog. And when it came in I couldnt see the picture with the comment. Any way, no I never met you, though I wish I did. loved your picture, very nice hair, I assume It's natural? Yes I live in Japan. And you're right it doesn't make a difference, welcome to my blog stranger, lol.

CurlyCel said...

Yes, it's natural! :)
Oh, and I have a blog too...you're welcome to check it out (I just don't link it directly to my name!) http://mycurlythoughtsarehere.blogspot.com